|Zeinab Abdel Hamid||
Medium: Water color on paper
Size: 89 x 71 cm
Abdel Hamid was born in Cairo, Egypt. She graduated in 1945 from the Academy of Fine Arts in Alexandria, Egypt. Her graduate work was done at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts of San Fernando in Madrid, Spain with further studies in Mexico in 1964. In 1969, she became a professor at the Academy of Arts in Helwan, Egypt.
She has been exhibiting her work since 1949 as a leading woman artist working in oil and watercolor. One of the founders of the Modern Arts Group in 1947, Abdel Hamid has received many Egyptian and international awards and has represented Egypt in numerous international exhibitions since 1950. She was commissioned to paint a large-scale work for the al-Ahram newspaper building. Her art is found in many public locations in Egypt, as well as in private collections in Egypt, Germany, the United States, France, Spain, and Mexico.
Her selected solo exhibitions include: Organization of Supporters of the Arts, Cairo, Egypt, 1952; and Arts Institute, Madrid, Spain, 1952.
Her selected group exhibitions include: Forces of Change: Artists of the Arab World, The National Museum of Women in the Arts, Washington, DC, 1994; Five Egyptian Artists, International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC, 1976; Ten Leading Women Pioneers, Cairo, Egypt, 1975; Galerie André Moris, Paris, France, 1954; São Paulo Biennial, São Paulo, Brazil, 1953; Venice Biennial, Venice, Italy, 1950; Pavillon des Arts, Paris, France, 1949; and Museum of Modern Art, Cairo, Egypt, 1947 and '48.